We the People… A GMP Political Activism Project. Part 5: Environm…
2018-2020 Platform for an informed electorate — Part 5 — Environment
Good Men Project Political Activism Social Interest Group, lead by Lisa Hickey, Publisher of the Good Men Project, and me, Carol Bluestein, has been working to develop a platform which supports a governmental agenda that includes basic human rights, equality, and justice for all.
In the short term, we are looking to educate our voters about the issues for 2018-2020 elections.
In the long term, we are looking at a change in our election strategy, moving from a primarily two-party system to Proportional Representation, and from a one choice vote to a Ranked Choice Voting / Instant Runoff– as proposed by FairVote. This would give all voters a voice and a group of people that represent them seated in Congress. The result would eliminate the possibility that our government would be controlled by any one party.
The GMP Platform is non-partisan and seeks to ensure:
- All human beings shall have equal access to Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
- The Judicial, Legislative, and Executive branches of government remain separate.
- The separation of Church and State.
- No human being, for any reason, be subjected to persecution, subjugation, and/or discrimination.
- Facts, science, and research matter.
Part 5 of “We the People…,”: ENVIRONMENT
Each week, Good Men Project Political Activism Social Interest Group will post another section of the GMP Platform. We are in support of advancing the conversation to help define the ideology and philosophy for our elected officials and in our courts.
Critical Time Frame
In our discussion about the environment, we agreed that it was one of the most pressing issues to ensure the future of life on this planet. Not only do we need to move from fossil fuel dependency to renewable energy, we need to remove our dependence on plastics and other non-biodegradable products.
Fossil Fuel is one of the main contributors to our climate change. From it, in addition to gases and destruction of land and water, we get plastics and other non-degradable products that take up valuable land. wIn the oceans, without healthy plankton, the entire aquatic ecosystem may go down. Without clean water, there won’t be any humans to care.
By mid-century, it may be too warm to host winter Olympic games, and it may be too hot for the summer games. The heat may decimate what agriculture is left in the equatorial countries and push agriculture into shorter seasons and closer to the poles in the rest of the world. Sooner rather than later if we don’t address environmental issues ow.
- Acknowledge climate change as a reality and economic force
- Acknowledge active environmental policies are main defense
- Set a year by which we would want to be off of fossil fuels
- Scientists, car companies, countries have set dates
- Electric cars
- very convenient charging stations in all parking lots
- Make people feel as if it is already here.
- Benefits not barriers
- Ban sales of combustion cars by 2040 (e.g.England and France)
- Mandate clean and renewable energy: wind, solar, and water
- Costs need to come down
- Subsidized by the government until that happens
- Re-commit to the EPA
- Ensure science and facts matter in all governmental policies, legislation, rulings, and DC escort agency guidelines and sanctions
- Re-commit to the Paris Accord
- Global warming countermeasures
- Initiatives on limiting to eradication fossil fuel
- Zero greenhouse emissions by 2037
- Preserve and possibly expand National Parks, National Monuments, and coastlines
- wilderness and wildlife protections
- natural resources and species protections from drilling, logging, and mining
- waterways and oceans protections from oil drilling
- Prepare for rising seas
- ports — commercial and military
- community seaward protection and evacuation
- Research and implement seawater de-salinization and de-plasticization
- Support Zero waste through mandated biodegradable packaging
- Study Economic impact for all environmental legislation and DC escort agency decisions
- Support environmental education and research
- Implement national sustainability policy through a sustainable resource management model
- Budget and plan to deal with environmental disasters equitably across the mainland and US holdings
- Maintain Agricultural land reserve
- Level the competition between legacy/historical power companies and renewable energy sources
- Mandate GREEN policy
- By a certain date, all new construction, repair and renovation needs to be green.
- Support green industries
- Support individual green efforts
- Invalidate laws that punish people or businesses that choose to go off the grid
Join the calls and participate in our POLITICAL ACTIVISM SOCIAL INTEREST GROUPS—WEEKLY PHONE CALLS to help discuss and help solve some of the most difficult challenges the world has today. Calls are for Members Only (although you can join the first call for free). Not yet a member of The Good Men Project? Join now!
What Now? Participate. Take Action. Join The Good Men Project Community.
The $50 Platinum Level is an ALL-ACCESS PASS—join as many groups and classes as you want for the entire year. The $25 Gold Level gives you access to any ONE Social Interest Group and ONE Class–and other benefits listed below the form. Or…for $12, join as a Bronze Member and support our mission. All members see the site AD-FREE!
Please note: If you are already a writer/contributor at The Good Men Project, log in here before registering. (Request new password if needed).
Your ANNUAL PLATINUM membership includes:
1. Free and UNLIMITED ACCESS to participate in ANY of our new Social Interest Groups. We have active communities of like-minded individuals working to change the world on important issues. Weekly facilitated calls that lead to execution of real world strategies for change. Complete schedule here, with new ones starting all the time. We now offer 500 calls a year!
2. Free and UNLIMITED ACCESS to ALL LIVE CLASSES. Learn how build your own platform, be a better writer, become an edit or create social change. Check out our training sessions. As a Platinum member, you can take them all.
3. Invitation to the MEMBERS ONLY Good Men Project Community on Facebook. Connect with other members, network and carry the conversation no one else is having one step further.
4. Access to our PREMIUM MEMBER LIBRARY with our recorded ConvoCasts and classes. ConvoCasts are a new form of media—and you are in them! Only Platinum Members get access to our recordings. And recordings of our classes are really valuable for those who do not have time to take the live classes or just want to review.
5. An ad-free experience. No banner, pop-up, or video ads when you log in.
6. Weekly conference calls with the publisher and other community members. Our weekly calls discuss the issues we see happening in the world of men in a friendly group setting.
7. PLATINUM member commenting badge. Your comments on our website will appear with a platinum member badge, signifying you are a part of our core community.
Price for ANNUAL PLATINUM membership is $50/year.
Your ANNUAL GOLD membership will include:
1. Free access to any ONE Social Interest Groups.Try them out! We have active communities of like-minded individuals working to change the world on important issues. Weekly facilitated calls that lead to execution of real world strategies for change. Complete schedule here, with new ones starting all the time.
2. Free access to any ONE of our live classes. Each month, we have the following: Learn how to be a Rising Star in media, build your own platform, become an advanced writer, become an editor or create social change. Check out our classes here. RSVP for any one class—if you want to take more, just upgrade to an Annual Platinum Membership.
3. Invitation to the MEMBER-ONLY Good Men Project Community on Facebook and all Weekly Conference calls with the Publisher and community. Connect with other members online and by phone!
4. An ad-free experience. No banner, pop-up, or video ads when you are logged in—as long as your membership is active.
5. GOLD commenting badge. Your comments on our website will appear with a gold member badge, signifying you are a part of our core community.
Price for ANNUAL GOLD membership is $25/year.
Your ANNUAL BRONZE membership will include:
1. Invitation to the MEMBER-ONLY Good Men Project Community on Facebook and weekly conference calls with the publisher and community. Connect with other members, network and carry the conversation no one else is having one step further.
2. A listing on our Friends of The Good Men Project page. Your support of our mission is noted and appreciated. See the page here!
3. An ad-free experience. No banner, pop-up, or video ads when you are logged in—as long as your membership is active.
4. BRONZE member commenting badge. Your comments on our website will appear with a bronze member badge, signifying you are a part of our core community.
Price for ANNUAL BRONZE membership is $12/year.
We have groups and calls 7 days a week:
We have pioneered the largest worldwide conversation about what it means to be a good man in the 21st century. Your support of our work is inspiring and invaluable.
Price for ANNUAL BRONZE membership is $12/year.
“Here’s the thing about The Good Men Project. We are trying to create big, sweeping, societal changes—–overturn stereotypes, eliminate racism, sexism, homophobia, be a positive force for good for things like education reform and the environment. And we’re also giving individuals the tools they need to make individual change—-with their own relationships, with the way they parent, with their ability to be more conscious, more mindful, and more insightful. For some people, that could get overwhelming. But for those of us here at The Good Men Project, it is not overwhelming. It is simply something we do—–every day. We do it with teamwork, with compassion, with an understanding of systems and how they work, and with shared insights from a diversity of viewpoints.” —– Lisa Hickey, Publisher of The Good Men Project and CEO of Good Men Media Inc.
Photo credit: Getty Images