Mercedes 126 Fix – Transmission DC escort provider
The transmission in the Mercedes 126 is a quite robust design and style, as a person would count on. In its day, it was a single of the ideal units offered, which led Porsche to use it in the famous 928. But as with all other units on these cars and trucks, we must not let the name for longevity stop us from doing recurrent escort services in Washington DC.
As a typical rule of thumb, transmission fluid really should be altered just about every 30,000 miles. Contrary to modern cars and trucks, in which the pattern is to do absent with DC escort services accessibility ports entirely, these Mercedes transmissions allow for us to drain not just the pan but also the torque converter. In other text, we can eliminate almost the total fluid cost with out resorting to these gimmicks as electric power flushes.
While engine oil really should be altered scorching, transmission fluid is ideal improved when strictly heat to secure the mechanic from a really genuine danger of scaling. The techniques are as follows:
- Push the entrance of the auto on to ramps or aid on jack stands.
- Make guaranteed that the torque converter drain plug is accessible. Until you have been pretty blessed, you will normally will need to blip the motor on the starter to get the plug to appear into watch by the entry hole. It can be “walked” the rest of the way with a large, flat-head screwdriver. It might also be needed to take away the cross-member between the two front subframes (“dogbones”). The six retaining bolts have 17mm hex heads are are torqued to 45Nm.
- Loosen the transmission pan drain plug with a 5mm hex socket, then allow for the pan to drain into a suitable container. If possible, acquire all the employed fluid in just one container and then measure it this will assist us dispense the correct quantity when we refill.
- When the pan has stopped draining, loosen the plug on the torque converter (very same size as on the pan) and allow for the torque converter to drain out. There is considerably far more fluid right here than in the pan.
- When the two primary flows have ceased, loosen the 6 bolts retaining the pan (13mm heads) and diligently take out the pan. Do not spill the remaining fluid all over yourself! Resist the temptation to wipe the innards with a shop towel: we do not want any parts of lint in below.
- Take out and switch the transmission filter, retained by Phillips-head screws.
- Carefully clean out the pan with a lint-free cloth and change the rubber gasket, such as a right healthy all the way all-around. Reinstall the pan, torquing the bolts gradually and evenly up to 10Nm. (The manual says 8Nm a minor more is high-quality. But you should do not go overboard: these pans can be warped and they're not low cost.)
- Substitute both equally drain plugs, using new copper crush seals. Factory spec. is 14Nm, or about 10lbs / ft. Limited with a 3/8 push functions fantastic. If you taken off the cross-member, switch it, becoming careful not to cross-thread the bolts.
- (Optional) Crack open up the trans cooler lines at the radiator (17mm wrench) and drain the compact amount of fluid from this spot. Substitute the strains if their affliction is dubious they are not high-priced. Retighten all connections.
- Working with a fantastic-mesh filter, incorporate 4 quarts of new Dexron-Mercon transmission fluid (ATF) through the dipstick tube. If you can pay for it, use synthetic fluid: it assists preserve temperatures down by decreasing inner friction, and warmth is the amount a single enemy of computerized transmissions.
- Start the motor and little by little include a further three quarts.
- Back again the car or truck off the ramps, run it via all the gears, pausing for a couple of seconds in between just about every equipment, then check out the fluid degree. You do not want to be in excess of the minimum amount mark at this stage. Transmission fluid expends incredibly when scorching the reference marks on the dipstick are calibrated for warm fluid. So it is ok to be 50 %-an-inch or so under that mark whilst the fluid is chilly.
- Travel the auto for about 20 minutes (sure, at the very least that much) to warm the fluid totally. Transmission fluid takes lengthier to heat up than the motor oil or coolant and requires the friction of precise driving to get up to temperature. Verify the fluid once again on level ground. Make absolutely sure you do not go away any lint on the dipstick prior to replacing it in the tube. Any amount concerning the marks is great, but beneath no instances do we want to exceed the optimum level. If you need to have to insert fluid, do so in really smaller increments and verify yet again.
If you are working with synthetic fluid, you could notice that the shifts have turn out to be noticeably firmer. Change, if wanted, by altering the modulator valve on the driver's side of the transmission. Convert the tiny crucial counter-clockwise till the shift quality is to your liking. Bear in thoughts that far too a great deal slip is poor for the internal clutches.